As important as technology is, I still believe there is something to simply working with a pencil and paper. Scratching out thoughts, scribbling new ones down, shifting and repeating thoughts amongst multiple papers is still the most effective way to imprint topics in a student's mind. The repetition of ideas through the storyboarding process accentuates these skills. I think I would insist on my students at least beginning their outlines and idea maps using pencil and paper that can be easily exchanged and marked with feedback from peers or teachers. Once a storyboard is more developed, students can put their well-acquired computer skills to work to construct and organize their final product most efficiently.
The Outlines, Idea Maps and Storyboards chapter presents many helpful reasons for why these are important additions to the classroom setting. I believe the process would be an important skill for students to develop because it forces them to get creative and think about things complexly, as pieces, broken down. Learning to consider how to connect seemingly abstract topics and incorporate them into one central idea is an ability students will be able to continue to put into practice throughout their lives.
I was excited to discover just how versatile Microsoft Word is, and that it can truly do just about anything I could want it to! Although I don't have a genuine use for it now, I'm excited about the Mail Merge feature, and see great potential for the options someday! Being more familiar with Word and it's functions will help me be creative and organized for future class projects, assignments, newsletters, and so much more!
I agree that there is definitely something to be said for the good old fashioned pencil and paper. Personally I think mapping and brainstorming is easiest and most affective on paper. You have the freedom take it in whatever direction, add notes all over, and the action of writing things by hand definitely imprints things into the brain in a way I think typing can't quite match up to.
ReplyDeleteI agree, repitition is important. Even though when I was in high school I would get annoyed with my teachers spending days on concept maps, I realize now how important they are to stay organized.
ReplyDeleteI really like that you are still "old fashioned". You really cant go wrong with pencil and paper. I was also pretty excited to learn about mail merge as well. Its definitely something I will be using too.
ReplyDelete